Kids

Friday, January 7, 2011

Herd mentality part - 1, public talk.

How I realized that each is entitled to have their own opinion.

A small incident during college days made me realize that each has a right to have their own likes and dislikes. When in college we have this friend, BT Anil Kumar, who is a huge fan of the then Iraqi president Mr.Saddam Hussain. Those are the days where USA was trying hard to project Saddam as the BAD guy. Most of our friends used to tease him, rather rag him, about his admiring Saddam Hussain. I went further and did the unthinkable, I tore the poster of Saddam hanging on his wall into two. Anil was furious, shaking with anger, tears in his eyes and trying to control himself. Immediately after tearing the poster I realized the mistake I committed, who the hell am I to step into his private space and take liberty to destroy his property? May be I didn't like Saddam but that doesn't give me any right to act in that manner. I never saw him so wild before, normally he is a chilled person. I apologized profoundly and I guess he sensed the sincerity in my apologies, forgave me. But even today I feel guilty about my behavior on that day. Thought of presenting another poster to him, but never got a chance or opportunity :(. It might look dramatic if I did :)

After few years since this incident happened I realized that I didn't even know who Saddam Hussain really is. It is just the word of the mouth I heard. Never observed or studied him to make an opinion on him. I just got carried away with the propoganda. Typical herd mentality.

2 comments:

  1. Your publique taque is heard and its cool mate and also right..I strongly agree....Even now..i am getting carried away.bcoz of the shame reason.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sai, thank you for the comment. Yes, it is easy and convenient to get into that trap. I fall for it quite frequently. Every time I realize the trap I try to correct myself ;)

    ReplyDelete