Kids

Friday, January 7, 2011

Herd mentality part. - 2, general openion.

Getting carried away with public opinion:

Not related to part-1, but another incident which made me realize about how one gets carried away with the general public talk. I used to have this room mate, Raja Sekhar,  during my early career days. He used to have a Yamaha RX 100cc bike and is very fond of it. I used to ride an age old Yezdi with friends during college days and had a Bajaj Chetak but was not into the then current bikes yet, so no clue about the Yamaha or others. Whenever friends discuss motor bikes he used to brag about his own bike singing its qualities like the pickup and the engine beat etc. During one such discussions I found myself praising the Yamaha about the engine beating etc. Later while I was reflecting I tried to memorize the engine sound of a Yamaha 100cc bike. Then I realized that I never observed it in the first place. Then why am I telling this as if I knew and admired it? I did observe that in the next opportunity and I really didn't like it. It sounded like a auto rickshaw (a three wheeler), such an irritating noise. May be my room mate really liked the sound and other features, but without any idea I too started liking/talking the same. Yes, it is herd mentality.

Most of us comment, even worse, some of us judge everything. Be it people, politicians, celebrities, movies, or any other without even bothering to take a look, study or experience them. Just as someone else expressed her/his openion, we own that as if it is us who made that remark originally. The other person might also be doing the same mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment